« Home | something new » | Tutup » | seputar pengkalan pasir » | Masjid_h.jpg » | Flock Browser » | Akhir Kalam » | Selamat Hari Raya » | Eating Sunnah and Manners » | my ummah » | Earthquake in Pakistan » 

Friday 

friday footnotes

Today was the last day of classes before the one-week break for CNY and Awal Muharram (among others). So far, SAM has been quite interesting, partly because the variety of extra projects (within and beyond the curriculum) that one is currently involved in. However, must remained focused. Focused.

Speaking of projects, for the ESL project, I've decided to write an 'investigative report' on gold, titled : "Gold as an investment". Somehow, gold seems to appeal to me greatly of late, and I'm not really sure why. Anyhow, this woud be a good excuse to study how a fiat economy works which would give me a great advantage over the rest of my economics classmates!(jangan marah bang!). Interestingly, Hishamuddin Rais's latest article touches on his predictions for the year 2006 CE, which, among others, includes the price of oil reaching $100 a barrel. Now I've only started studying economics formally, so I can't pretend to have an inkling of an understanding why that would be in anyway significant, so I'll just have to repeat Mr Rais's analysis for the time being, that is it (the exorbitant price of petroleum) will tax the American Economy greatly, and put great pressure on the US Dollar, which, as we all know, is what the world runs on. This hyper-inflation (ooh! new word!) of paper currency has been in great debate for some time now, and is among the reasons people are calling for a return to the gold standard. The Malaysian Gov itself is one of the strongest proponent of the Gold Dinar, which you can currently see traded nowhere in the contry(except among smart numismatics). I also remember seeing a Maybank advertisement in the star for a gold savings passbook account ( not so long ago which i think must have piqued my current interest in gold (and also that book, Return of The Gold Dinar by Omar Fadilo that I read a few years back).

I also received my fair share of surprises this week, some being more pleasant than others. The best would be the fact that HAMAS won the Palestinian Election. This was totally unexpected to most, myself included. It seemed that everone was in chorus predicting that the best that they could have expected to be was a large opposition. Well, as the carvings on the top of the mimbar at Masjid Darul Ehsan reads :
"And another (favour will He bestow,) which ye do love,- help from God and a speedy victory. So give the Glad Tidings to the Believers." Surah as-Saff, Verse 10,Abdullah Yusuf Ali Translation(though it wasn't actually the whole ayat, only the second part (after the hyphen))
Now that they've won, it would be interesting to follow the developments that will take place in al-Quds in particular and also the whole arab world in general. And I'm sure if they prove to be a more competent, and more respectable goverment than the previous administraion (and others in the region), we will be able to see some its tempias here next year, insha allah.

So I shall end today on that note. To my friends of chinese descent, Selamat Tahun Baru Cina, and to my muslim brothers, may this new year be the year of change and reform, insha allah.

assalamualaikum

>

About me

  • I'm ltf ha
  • From sg. buloh, selangor, Malaysia
My profile
www.flickr.com
sdr. mohamad lutfi hakim ariff's photos More of sdr. mohamad lutfi hakim ariff's photos
Blogroll [−]
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates Listed on BlogShares Ukhwah.com :: Top Blog