« Home | » | Police Brutality » | a great loss » | nothing to say yet » | DSAI pulang » | The Palace and the Garden » | Teka Teki » | this is gonna be quite long » | more protests and arrests » | apa ini? » 

Wednesday 

the jemaah/ummah centric polemic

Ketika saya pernah ditanyakan oleh salah seorang siswa, "Ustaz ni jemaah JIM ke?". Saya segera membalas, "Tidak, saya ahli jemaah Muslimin". Dia bertanya, "Jemaah baru ke tu?". Saya katakan kepadanya, "Tidak, ia telah wujud semenjak zaman Rasulullah S.A.W lagi"

ummah centric seems to be the topic nowadays. First presented by Ustaz Mazlee Malik of UIA through his column in Majalah I, the debate seems to have spread far and wide. Now even the Mu'tamar is discussing (or more likely, dissing) it.

However to put things objectively, I do say that his ideas are,well, true. Muslims should get together and form a united front. And to say the proponents are agents of anything seems far-fetched to me. On the other hand, to do away with order and discipline won't do anyone any good. Each group I suppose have their own thing to do. As some would say, a da'ie performs da'wah like a da'ie, a muezzin performs da'wah through his own way, and ditto for an ustaz.

And this is one of the more balanced rebuttal of the idea.

1 Comments:

Assalamualaikum wrh wbt.

As per demand, here are my two cents:

Are we truly an ummah? I fear (in the very layman way of mine) that we have lost the meaning of ummah. Sure, in its loosest context, a member of the ummah is one who follows the Prophet and his teachings, and both fears and loves Allah.

Hang on a sec. The latter part might cut some people from the list. If you get my drift.

But I am sorry to have to say that we are not an ummah. For when we are indeed an ummah, the mindset should be like this: My pain lies in your suffering. My gladness is in that you are glad. My love in my sisters is as if they are a part of me - without them, I could not function. Our ultimate wala' lies with Allah and his Apostle, and then in each other.

Ana enti/a wa enti/a ana. You are of me, and I am of you.

The fact that the argument exists is shameful. We have no right to talk about jemaah or ummah-centric behaviour. As always, we have to go back to the roots. Both would not exist without ukhuwah fillah. Relationships and ties that exist not because of blood, but because of God. Which is better?

And from personal experience, I can say that ukhuwah fillah would not exist without patience. Tolerance. Understanding. And most importantly, love and faith in our Lord. In large quantities. Ukhuwah fillah means Love BECAUSE of God. The way I love my ukhti because God asks me too. The feeling comes without asking.

Yes, jemaah is important. We are asked, in the Quran (8:46) to not fight; to remain united. Jemmah will lead to an ummah, eventually. So why kecoh-kecoh?

I feel that the whole issue probably came up due to some overzealous youngsters who easily switch between both words. They lead to the same thing we are asked to fight for: Ustazziyatul alam. Bukan?

But the main point is: We have to fix that lump of flesh inside us first. We have to fix our hearts. As said by the Prophet (pbuh): "...There is a lump of flesh in the body, the nature of which is that when it is sound, the entire body is sound, and when it is corrupt, the entire body is corrupt. It is the heart." (narrated by An-Nu'man ibn Bashir)

Bila hati sudah tetap, dan iman sudah kukuh, maka dari situlah titik pembinaan jemaah --> ummah --> ustazziyatul alam.

It is my humble opinion that we should stop concentrating on words, and start working on our ACTIONS.

For now, something for the brain to chew on:

Said the Prophet: "Not one of you will believe until he desires for his brother what he desires for himself." (narrated by Anas ibn Malik)

You beat me to the topic. Takpe lah.

Wassalamualaikum.

By Blogger Syazwina Saw, at 7.6.06  

Post a Comment

>

About me

  • I'm ltf ha
  • From sg. buloh, selangor, Malaysia
My profile
www.flickr.com
sdr. mohamad lutfi hakim ariff's photos More of sdr. mohamad lutfi hakim ariff's photos
Blogroll [−]
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates Listed on BlogShares Ukhwah.com :: Top Blog